Counsel and Advocacy for North Georgia School Boards
The law firm of Roach, Caudill & Gunn LLP provides knowledgeable representation in all facets of education law, with a strong focus in special ed law. Our clients are school districts and school board members in the Metro Atlanta area and beyond.
We welcome inquiries from school administrators, school boards or general counsel school attorneys in North Georgia and statewide. Contact our Canton law office today.
Canton Education Law Attorneys
Our attorneys have collectively worked with more than 20 different school districts across the state of Georgia in litigation, training and support.
Thomas Roach Jr. has served as general counsel to the Cherokee County Board of Education for more than 20 years. He is among a select group of attorneys authorized by the State of Georgia to train school board members. Darrell Caudill has experience assisting school boards in a variety of areas; he is frequently called upon to serve as hearing officer for school law tribunals. Linwood Gunn has provided litigation defense, counsel and training to numerous school boards, frequently in the areas of employment and civil rights.
We are available as general counsel or special counsel to school districts for the broad umbrella of education law issues:
- Constitutional questions (First Amendment, Fourth Amendment, etc.)
- Collective bargaining
- Teacher licensing or due process matters
- Student disciplinary actions
- Open meetings and records
- Lawsuits against the district
- Board member liability
- Board member annual training
- Elections, referendums and bonding
- Representation in state and federal agency hearings and investigations
Georgia Special Education Attorneys
Tom Roach and Sylvia Eaves provide guidance and represent school districts exclusively in the niche area of special education law. We provide proactive counsel, training and policy development to comply with state and federal regulations regarding delivery of special ed services. Ms. Eaves represents school districts in proceedings before the Office of State Administrative Hearings or in appeals to Georgia Superior Courts or federal courts.
We are knowledgeable about school districts' rights and responsibilities under the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA) and related special ed matters:
- Evaluation and eligibility for special education services
- Response to Interventions (RTI)
- Development of Individualized Education Programs (IEP)
- Provision of a free appropriate public education (FAPE) in the least restrictive environment (LRE)
- Transportation and related services
- Discipline of special education students
- Procedural safeguards
- Classroom aides or disability accommodations
- Services plans for private school students
- Abuse, bullying or harassment of special education students
Contact Our Georgia Education Law Attorneys
In addition to the Cherokee County schools, we have advised and represented a number of school districts in neighboring counties and across North Georgia. Call our lawyers at 678-487-7463 or toll free 800-265-1895, or e-mail us to schedule a consultation.